WHEN AND WHERE IS THE CONFERENCE?
It is set for July 8 - 12 at the Conference
Center at Pitt-Johnstown, on the picturesque campus of the University
of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, PA. The campus is a 650-acre mountaintop
wildlife preserve with 40 acres of hiking trails. Registrants are
offered two package options:
- FULL PACKAGE: July 8 - 12 (five days, four nights). The program
begins Wednesday afternoon (July 8).
- WEEKEND PACKAGE: July 10- 12 (three days, two nights). The program
begins Friday evening
The education program for all packages concludes Sunday afternoon.
WHAT DO THE FEES INCLUDE?
The conference fees cover:
- the entire educational program, including classes, lectures,
workshops and discussions. Also included are films, entertainment
and use of certain athletic areas.
- vegan meals and on-campus housing which includes a twin bed,
linen and towels.
ARE THERE HOUSING CHOICES?
Yes. You may choose:
- non-air-conditioned traditional student housing with two rooms
sharing bathroom facilities.
- air-conditioned accommodations with private
bath in the contemporary Living Learning Center.
Please note that air-conditioned housing will be
assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. These accommodations
will fill quickly, so please register early.
CAN I GET A ROOMMATE?
NAVS can assign a roommate if you are attending
alone and would like to qualify for the double-occupancy rate. If
you arrange to share a room with someone, please indicate his or
her name on your registration form.
CAN I STAY OFF CAMPUS?
Yes, Contact NAVS for off-campus registration and
WHAT WILL THE MEALS BE LIKE?
There will be delicious vegan meals designed to meet a variety of diets, including gluten free* and raw food. They will be prepared under the direction of award winning chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion.
*foods are prepared in a kitchen where gluten is used, therefore we cannot guarantee that all items are 100% gluten-free
WHICH MEALS ARE INCLUDED?
Meals are provided as follows:
- FULL PACKAGE: The first meal served will be lunch on Wednesday, July 8th.
- WEEKEND PACKAGE: The first meal served will be breakfast on Saturday,
The Saturday Farewell Dinner is included in all
packages. The last meal served will be lunch on Sunday, July 12th.
HOW AND WHEN DO I PAY?
Consult price tables to
find your cost. You may register on our secure server by using a
credit card with our online form.
Or you may print a hard copy of the registration
form and mail it along with your payment to:
North American Vegetarian Society
PO Box 72
Dolgeville, NY 13329
When you register you have two payment options:
1) submit the total amount due or 2) submit a deposit of half of
your total cost. However, all balances will be due by May 26th, 2015.
Advance reservations must be paid in full before the conference
starts. No personal checks will be accepted on campus.
WHEN IS CHECK IN TIME?
- FULL PACKAGE program check-in: 10 AM - 10 PM, WEDNESDAY, July 8th
- WEEKEND PACKAGE program check-in: 5 - 11 PM, FRIDAY, July 10th
WHAT IS THERE FOR KIDS?
We offer special programs for children, youths
and teens! A Children's Center is offered for attendees aged 2-12,
during most of the educational sessions. Mealtimes and evening socials are
HOW DO I GET THERE?
Johnstown is in southwest Pennsylvania, approximately
- 70 miles east of Pittsburgh
- 200 miles east of Cleveland
- 239 miles west of Philadelphia
- 330 miles west of New York
- 184 miles north of Baltimore
- 493 miles from Boston
There are two main options:
1) Connections to the nearby Johnstown-Cambria County Airport are available through the Washington-Dulles Airport.
2) Connecting flights direct to Johnstown are no longer available from the Greater Pittsburgh Intl. Airport (approx. 70 miles west of Johnstown) however; very limited shuttle service is available from and to the Pittsburgh airport (See details below).
BUS AND TRAIN: Johnstown is served by county buses,
Greyhound and Amtrak.
1) The Conference Center offers free limited local shuttle service from
the Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, bus and train stations.
2)Pittsburgh International Airport:
Very limited shuttle service will be available from the Pittsburgh International Airport on Wednesday, July 8th and returning to the airport on Sunday, July 12th.
There will only be two shuttles on Wednesday and two on Sunday. The departure times are as follows:
Wednesday, July 8th: Shuttle will depart the Pittsburgh International Airport at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Note that it is recommended that you arrive a minimum of one hour before shuttle departure, so your flight would need to arrive no later than 9:30 a.m. in order to catch the 10:30 a.m. shuttle, and no later than 1:30 p.m. in order to catch the 2:30 p.m. shuttle.
Sunday, July 12th: Shuttle will depart the UPJ campus at 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m.
Note that you will need to allow a 3 hour window in advance of your flight departure to ensure adequate time for travel and check-in at the airport. For example, if your flight were to depart at 3:15 p.m. you would need to take the 11:30 shuttle.
The cost for the round trip shuttle from and to the Pittsburgh airport is $90.00 and will take approximately 1 hr. 45 minutes each way.
3) Advance reservations for both shuttle services are required.
DRIVING: The campus is accessible from the Pennsylvania
Turnpike via Route 219 or Interstate 80 via Route 219. UPJ is located
at 450 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown, PA 15904. You can get driving
directions at Mapquest.
Local Area Map and Print-ready
Campus Map are available on the University of Pittsburgh at
RIDE-SHARE BULLETIN BOARD: Looking for a ride to
the Vegetarian Summerfest? Want to offer a ride to another conference
attendee? Post your request or offer here.
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS?
Smoking is NOT permitted in dining areas, classrooms
or other public areas reserved for NAVS use. We regret that no companion
animals of any kind are permitted in campus buildings, except seeing
SUPPOSE I HAVE TO CANCEL?
NAVS will refund your payments, minus $60 per person,
for those cancellations received before May 26th. NAVS reserves the
right to substantially reduce or refuse refunds after that date.
Please notify NAVS as soon as possible if you must cancel. We regret
that no refunds can be made for missed meals for any reason, including
late arrival or early departure.
back to top